Thursday, April 23, 2009

Finger Paint

I can't believe it's Thursday already! This week has literally flown by. Last Friday our friends Becca & Angel came over for a little while with their daughters Alayna and Kyla. The kids enjoyed playing outside and we enjoyed getting to chat with them.

When we pulled into LCBC on Tuesday morning then, Joshua asked about seeing Jesus & Alayna. Luckily, Becca pulled in right after me, so the Bean got his wish. I enjoyed the MOPS morning out with friends, and I'm thankful that we're supposed to have the same group next year. Woohoo! That morning both my kids woke up really early, which gave me time to put a roast in the crockpot with red-skin potatoes and seasonings. Later I added carrots and made more peach pudding, as well as set the table and got out the potato rolls I had bought. My sister Becky and her husband Tim came over for dinner that night, and we had a nice time of visiting with them. Their small group just finished the same Bible study that our small group is still working on (the last session is this coming Sunday at our house).Last night after the dentist, we dropped the boys off at Aunt Missy's house so we could go out to dinner with friends. Joshua was so excited! He said that the puppies were "tickling" him as they jumped on him and kissed him. He also loved the kittens. Both boys seemed to have a nice time there, and Joshua was all about giving Uncle Kevin a kiss as we left. Haaa! While they were there, we went to the YP with Chris & Lisa, who invited us out to one of their favorite Wednesday-night hangouts. Your Place has a pizza & stromboli buffet on Wednesdays, and since Chris is soon going to start working second shift again, this was one of their last hurrahs. We enjoyed chatting and hanging out without the precious kiddos.This morning, the boys & I were feeling a little under the weather. My guess is that we all managed to catch a cold. So, since I had just heard from the pediatrician at the MOPS panel that some sicknesses can't survive colder temps than 60 degrees, I bundled up the kids and we all went for a nice long walk around the neighborhood. It was crisp and the wind was a little bitey, but the flowers were blooming & the birds were chirping and it has finally stopped raining. My hope is that we killed off whatever nastiness this is. (I also cut up a bunch of oranges and had one for breakfast - Joshua & Caleb weren't as interested, however. Caleb scarfed down his blueberry/pear mix, though, and I think he may really like blueberries. Only time will tell! He is starting to eat a little better!)
When we got back, I decided to mix up some finger paint for the Bean. I had some sour cream that expired yesterday, so I'm no longer going to eat it. It wasn't moldy (although sour cream has a pretty distinct smell when it's nearing the end of its life!), so I thought this would make the perfect base in case Joshua would try to eat any (which he didn't, thankfully). I taped his paper to the plastic tablecloth I had dug out (which makes me realize I need to go buy some construction paper), and I put on his 'big boy bib' to save his clothes. I also buckled him in his seat and prepared the sour cream with various drops of food coloring in different foam bowls.At first he wasn't too sure, but once I sat down with him and began to paint, he was all about it. At various times, he would happily proclaim "Momma's turn for green!" and I would stop with whatever color I had and take whatever color he told me.He painted the same area over and over again, so I got a new sheet of paper to let him continue to explore his artsy side. He kept saying 'fun craft!' and I LOVE the way he says "craft." It's adorable. Here are the finished products: It cracks me up how neat Joshua is. He kept asking for a paper towel in between colors to wipe off his hands. After awhile, he said "all done paints!" and we cleaned up. He didn't enjoy dipping his hands into soapy water as much as I thought he would, so my next idea for an activity of giving his toys a bath didn't work so well. Another time! It was almost lunch time, then, and afterward he said "I'm tired. Time for night-night! Covers please!" and he ran up to his bed. So, both kids are now sleeping, and I'm hoping to start a new book while they nap after I'm done blogging...if I can keep my eyes open.Tonight Shawn's going to guys' night out with the small group guys, and I'm making flounder almondine (since he doesn't like fish). We'll see how it goes! This is my first attempt. Have a great evening!

No comments: