Monday, February 8, 2010

No Snaps

To start where I left off, I think it was Thursday that I took Joshua to the doctor's office. I called Grandma to see if she would be willing to watch Caleb so I didn't have to take him into any more germ-infested areas. She agreed, and I dropped Caleb off before Joshua & I went "adventuring" to the doctor's office. He told me he didn't want to get snapped (his expression for getting shots), and I told him that there were no shots coming - they would just listen to his breathing and try to make him feel better. He said okay. I promised him he'd be fine. But, he told the receptionist, then the nurse and finally the doctors that there would be "NO SHOTS TODAY! I JUST WANT MEDICINE TO FEEL BETTER." Everyone giggled when he said it and assured him that he would not get any shots. The doctor didn't give him medicine, though, and just told me to increase his breathing treatments. He sounded okay to her and not wheezing deeply like before. So, that was a good thing. We went back to Grandma's house and ate lunch together and played some more before going home for naps. He also told Grandma that he wasn't going to get any shots. He was scared! The nurse commented about how articulate he was. I didn't need to take out any toys while we were waiting for the pediatrician - Joshua talked my ear off the whole time, much to the amusement of the nurse who must have been listening outside our door.

When we first got to the doctor's office, I told Joshua we were walking to the second nurse's station at Roseville. He first went into an office where nurses were meeting before I yanked on his hand (not hard, but to give him further direction) and then he darted in another door where a nurse's office was. Then he tried to go in a room that a little girl was coming out of until finally we made it to the end of the hall. I've never seen him do anything like that before! The nurses ate him up, though. He made everyone smile and laugh.

Friday I had a hair appointment (well, it was supposed to be Saturday morning, but with the blizzard coming, I called and Christine got me in Friday), so Grandma agreed to watch the boys for me again (thanks, Mom!). Then the hairdresser called that morning to move it my appointment to noon, and Mom was still watching Jen's kiddos while my sister was volunteering at her daughter's school. So Grandma asked me to bring them there and switch cars with her so she could bring them home. That worked for me! Joshua LOVED playing there, and they stayed for lunch. That night when I asked him what he enjoyed about his day, he said he liked playing with trains. I asked, which one is your favorite... assuming we were still talking about trains and knowing the answer coming would be Thomas. But, he surprised me and said "Daniel." He had fun playing with his cousin that day. :) And I beat Grandma back to my house - I love how quick my hairdresser is!

I read "The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Seuss to Joshua two nights ago, and he said "Now that is a great book!" Haaa!!! When I asked if he'd like to shake hands with "Thing One and Thing Two" (from the book), he replied, "YES!" Joshua loves books and movies and stories.

He also likes to go through 'the plan' with us of what's coming next, which makes me giggle since I'm a planned person. If it's going to be lunch, potty-time then naps, he goes over the 'plan' with us. And, so long as he agrees with the plan (which isn't normally any problem), he does everything right in order with no argument. I think he likes being prepared for what's coming next.
 Joshua also tried to convince me the other day that if he once lived in my belly that Caleb must have come from Daddy's belly. It didn't seem right to him that I got to live with both kiddos first. Haaaa!!! I swear he says something silly everyday. :)

He & Daddy played follow-the-leader yesterday afternoon, putting a hand up then tucking it behind their backs then stepping wide, etc. He was doing well for awhile, but then he decided he ought to be the leader. That's my Bean for ya!

I'd say we're all on the mend. Joshua still has a little residual cough with his asthma, but I'm thinking it's on its way out, hopefully. We're all done with our medications and feeling better, I think. Both boys ate really well today, so I'm thinking they're feeling good.

No comments: