Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kindergarten Spring Party

On Thursday, March 28, I went into Joshua's classroom to help with the "spring" party. They had "Easter break" on Friday (3/29) and the following Monday (4/1), but we couldn't call it an Easter party. There were three stations of activities that day, followed by snack time.
The first station was the one where I helped. The kids made bunnies using their fingers and thumbs for the ears and tail, and one of the room parents cut out big circles for bodies and small circles for heads that the kids then glued on after their finger painting was done. Then they drew on faces and pasted on grass, flowers, a sun and even some clouds. I couldn't believe at how much stuff she had cut out on her own for this craft! It was really cute.
On the other side of the room, they were dancing, doing the "bunny hop" and they did a plastic egg toss back and forth. There was an additional game that I'm forgetting now, I think.




During snack time, then, another room parent created an entire bingo card that the kids would look for pictures of spring on their cards and place candy pieces on them and call out Bingo if they got it. The winners got a pencil, and Joshua was one of the winners. At the end of the time together, the teacher told the kids to clean up their candy and put it back into the baggies to take home. One of the boys misunderstood the directions and left his candy on the card but couldn't figure out why everyone else had a baggy of candy but him. He was upset, and Joshua - without prompting - said, "Hey, if you didn't get any candy, you can have some of mine" and filled the boys empty baggy with half of his candy. I was helping clean up on the other side but when I saw this kind act, I had to smile. Then someone found the bingo card with the candy still on it and the kid put his candy in his baggy along with Joshua's candy. But, it wasn't like Joshua really wanted the candy. I loved how he was trying to be a good friend. :) :) :)
The snack had been dirt pudding (complete with a candy worm), carrots (which I think Joshua was one of the few who ate them - he LOVES carrots!) and fruit kabobs. The amount of work to make fruit kabobs baffled me. I was glad I had signed up to take the spoons! Haaa!!!
Here are some of the kids enjoying their snack. I didn't take too many pictures because I was trying to help fill glasses with lemonade and clean up, etc.
I tried to get a picture with me and Joshua, but he was being too goofy to get a good one. Oh well! But, at least the picture reminds me of a comment from that morning. As I was walking him to school, the little man on the corner who directs the cars and buses said "By the way, you look stunning this morning" as I walked by. I beamed. Who even uses the word "stunning" anymore?!? I called Shawn and joked that he needed to get better with his compliments. But, I had curled my hair that morning after my body flow class (since I had slept on it wet and it was horrendous before that!) and was wearing a nicer sweater, my Ann Taylor size 2 jeans, healed boots and a nicer Banana Republic jacket. Typically, I often walk the Bean to school in my workout clothes because I'm either coming from or going to the gym. But, I had been at a prayer meeting before helping out at the classroom and when I go into the school, I try not to look like the 'poor relative' or someone that the kids would need to be embarrassed to have as their mom. Still, Shawn & I have joked around ever since about being stunning. :) :) :) Lately I've felt anything but stunning as my tan is fading, I still weigh five pounds more than I did before vacation and my hair is getting a little too long... still, it was a nice compliment.
Happy Spring! Now we only need some warm weather to go with it!

No comments: